- Morris, Tee (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 288 Pages - 05/19/2020 (Publication Date) - For Dummies (Publisher)
Last update on 2021-08-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Discord overlay not working is a common issue for the gamers and facing this threat when they are playing the game. It is not the major issue to concern because there is a different solution to solve the Discord game overlay not working issue.
Discord has multi-user sharing features. It also gives some issues, for example, Discord obs overlay not working, Discord voice chat overlay not working, and Discord overlay not showing.
There are many explanations for this threat and plenty of solutions on the web to solve this issue, but all are not working properly. For your certain problem, such as discord game overlay not working, you should need a specific solution that will not waste your time.
Here you get a workable solution of your different categories of discord won’t open with Discord voice chat overlay not working issue. So, continue up to the final verdict to fixes the discord game overlay not working problem.
12 Step By Step Guide: Discord Overlay Not Working
Some gamers also conveyed the message that Discord overlay not showing issue happens during some specific game are running on their devices. The specific game is so popular such as Borderlands 2, League of Legends, and Fortnite battle royale.
Gamers are getting frustrated when Discord showed the message that Discord overlay not working wow for the most popular game. But the good news is there is also a simple solution to fixes this issue for those specific game.
When you continue up to the final verdict you get the overall idea of the overlay on Discord and the solution of Discord overlay not showing, Discord obs overlay not working, and Discord voice chat overlay not working issue.
So, need not be panicked. You should move forward to fix the discord game overlay not working and maintain the process that will show subsequently as well as enjoy the gaming.
What Is Overlay On Discord?
Discord overlay feature that enables voice or text chatting with your friends without interrupting the attention on your game or need to use alt-tab option. It can be used via a hotkey (shift+~) while you are in the game.
This feature in discord originated with voice activity in 2016 by the Discord app developer. After that, you can find Discord voice channel and Discord overlay display you and your discord friends are in the game.
This Discord overlay option gives a relief to the gamers for the communication with his or her friends in the game without any software interruption of the focus on his or her game.
How Do I Enable Overlay In Discord?
To enable overlay in Discord is the first step, before fixing the Discord overlay not working issue. At the very beginning when you find the Discord game overlay not working, go with the following steps to enable overlay in Discord.
- First, go to the Start menu of your desktop and find the Discord app to open.
- Open the discord users setting of Discord app, and on the left panel, you get Overlay to click.
- After that click the toggle to enable the options “Enable in-game overlay” on the right side of the page.
- Now, go to the Game option on the left panel and make sure the in-game overlay feature for the game you are playing. Click the monitor button, if it is turned off and add your game which you want to play to Discord through “Add it” option.
- In the “Add it” option, you can browse your game, and by double clicking the selective game, you can enable the game to Discord app.
- If you find the overlay option is already enabled, then turned it off and by clicking it enable again.
- Finally, save the app settings of the Discord app and re-start the game.
By this simple process, you will accomplish your first job, when you get the message that discord won’t open.
How Do I Overlay Discord On My Phone?
The Discord overlay on the phone is only enabled for the Samsung galaxy phone. This is the exclusive option of the Samsung galaxy phone given by the Discord app developer team.
Sometimes it also found that Google Pixel 4, OPPO Find X2 Pro, and OnePlus 5T will support Discord overlay if you follow the same steps for Samsung galaxy mobile to enable it. So, let’s go to enable Discord overlay on your galaxy phone.
- First, you have installed the Samsung Game Launcher, and it will directly be integrated with your Discord account.
- If the account is not integrated automatically, then update the Samsung OS for the latest version of discord and go to the Game Launcher App.
- After that Sign in/Sign up the Discord account, and you will find the Activity Feed that shows you the friend list who are currently activity and you can communicate with them through voice and text.
- Finally, it would be best if you went to the users setting option on the Discord app to enable voice and video overlay.
The above-mentioned methods give a better gaming environment on your phone when you are in the game and want to communicate with your friends.
How Do I Fix Discord Overlay Not Showing?
There are a series of issues that give the Discord overlay not showing messages such as overlay location and windows display is adjusted, antivirus restriction, Game overlay option is not enabled, and hardware problem.
To solve this Discord overlay not showing the problem, first, you have to know the details of these issues. When you know these issues and follow the solution process, the Discord overlay not showing the message will not appear.
Overlay Location and Windows Display
The Discord app will be in the Windows display screen to work properly. Sometimes gamers move the Discord app from the screen and this problem arises.
Some gamers reported that overlay features are suspicious to their installed security program and it blocks the Discord app as well as they get the message, Discord overlay not showing.
Mostly, Discord overlay not showing message is given for the overlay option is not configured properly. You have to enable the Game overlay option for the specific game for happy gaming.
Sometimes CPU and hardware are not compatible with each other and the Discord overlay not showing message is given.
Up to this, you know the issues that cause Discord overlay not showing the problem and it is time to solve its different options. So, keep reading to fix the Discord overlay not showing the issue.
Option-1: Enable Gameplay Option
- At the very beginning, you have to go to the start menu of your desktop and find the Discord app to open.
- Open the user settings option of Discord app, and on the left panel, you get Overlay to click.
- After that, click the toggle to enable the options “Enable in-game overlay” on the right side of the page.
- Now, go to the Game Activity option on the left panel and make sure the in-game overlay feature for the game you are playing. Click the monitor button, if it is turned off and add your game which you want to play to Discord through “Add it” option.
- In the “Add it” option, you can browse your games, and by clicking the selective game, you can enable the game to Discord app.
- If you find the overlay option is already enabled, then turned it off and by clicking it enable again.
- Finally, save the discord settings of the Discord app and re-start the game.
Option-2: Disable Hardware Acceleration Option
- First, open the Discord app through the Start menu of your desktop.
- Then click the user setting option and go to the Appearance on the left corner.
- Now, you see the Hardware Acceleration option on the right side of the page and toggle it off.
- Finally, confirm it and restart the Discord app to disable hardware acceleration.
Option-3: Scaled Up The Windows Display
It has found that the windows display of the gamer is not in 100% and the Discord overlay not showing message is given for this. To solve this issue, you have to change the display back to 100%.
- To go to the Windows setting, hold the Windows logo key on your keyboard and press I. It will take you to the Windows setting option.
- Here, you find the System option and click on it.
- On the right-hand side, select 100% (Recommended) option under the Scale and layout segment.
- So, the Windows display is scaled up and restart the game to play.
Option-4: Shift The Overlay On The Screen
- At the very beginning, close the game you are playing and open the Discord software.
- Here, you find the newly created list and double click on the Local Storage.
- Under the Local Storage, you will findhttps://discordapp.com and click on it.
- Now, delete OverlayStore or OverlayStoreV2, by clicking the right-click option.
- Finally, restart the Discord program and re-launch the game.
Option-5: Install The Latest File Of Discord Software
You will find different update files of the app almost every week to fix the bug by the Discord developer. By installing the latest file, you can solve the anti-virus restriction issue for the Discord overlay not showing the problem.
Option-6: Disable Antivirus Restriction
As mentioned early that sometimes anti-virus restricts the Discord software to play the game and give the Discord overlay not showing the message. To solve this issue, you can restrict the anti-virus through the following steps.
- Go to the Windows Firewall option through the Start menu.
- Then turn off the Windows Firewall option and save the changes.
Option-7: Give Access As An Administrator
- To fix the Discord overlay not showing issue administrator privileges, you have to press right-click on the app and go to the Properties option.
- On the Properties option, go to the Compatibility tab and check the Run this program as an administrator as well as press the OK button to confirm.
- Now, re-open the app and rerun the game to play.
Option-8: Disclose the Third-Party Applications
It has seen that third-party software is interrupting the app to run the game and give Discord overlay not showing the message. The different features of the app can create conflict with other apps.
For that reason, you have to disclose the other software during play the game except for the Discord software. Just hold and press Ctrl + Alt + Delete button to open the task manager of your Windows.
After that, select the third-party software that is under processing and click the end task button to close the third-party software to reveal the game without any interruption.
Option-9: Eliminate/Uninstall the Particular Problematic Antivirus Software
Some third-party antivirus application that causes discord overlay not working wow. You also get some popup window where you know that the due to running that third-party antivirus app.
Then you should go to the control panel and uninstall that third-party software from the Program and Features option. After that, you should reboot your computer to take some action. If the Discord game overlay not working, then go to the subsequent methods.
Option-10: Upgrade your Discord Overlay Application
Discord software sometimes gives you a black screen, when you run this software. This issue also gives you some messages for example Discord overlay not showing or Discord obs overlay not working or Discord game overlay not working.
In this case, you should reinstall the Discord software or update the app, if needed. In most of the instance, updating the app resolves the problem that you want to fix. Below, you get the process of updating the app.
- First of all, you should open the RUN dialogue box from the Start menu of your Windows.
- Type %localappdata% and click OK button.
- It takes you in the AppData, local folder.
- Here you find the Discord folder and double click on it.
- When you enter into the Discord folder, you find the Update.exe file.
- Just double click on it and wait till up to the completion of the updating process.
Now, re-launch your app and find your Discord overlay not working problem is solved. After all of this, you get problem Discord voice chat overlay not working, you should go to the next method to fix the problem.
Option-11: Readjust your Discord Voice Setting
There are some situations, you find Discord voice chat overlay not working. Then you should reset the voice setting of the app manually to fix this problem.
- First of all, open the app, and in the top right corner, you get the setting gear icon.
- Just click the setting gear button and find out the Voice & Video option.
- After that click, the Reset Voice Setting to reset your Discord voice setting to fix the Discord voice chat overlay not working problem.
If all of the work has completed, then turn off the Discord app and turn it on again. You get the smooth running of audio of software. If not? – go to the following phase to affix the problem.
Option-12: Resolve Your Computer Audio Setting
Sometimes you find your computer audio setting is not configured properly that issued Discord voice chat overlay not working and Discord overlay not working wow message. For that reason, you should configure the microphone setting of your computer.
- From the search box of your computer, just type Microphone privacy settings and enter.
- Now, turned on the Allow apps to access your microphone option.
- Then save changes and exit as well as try to re-launch Discord software.
If this software work properly, then need not to go to other options to resolve the Discord voice chat overlay not working issue.
How Do I Reset Discord Overlay?
When you are frustrated with Discord overlay for its different problems such as Discord obs overlay not working, Discord overlay not working wow, Discord game overlay not working, then it is the last option to re-install the Discord app.
- First, go to the control panel through the Windows start menu.
- Select the app and uninstall it.
- Then restart the computer and download the app from its website.
- After that install the app and open this app to add your game while it is running.
- Finally, enable the in-game overlay option to enjoy the game.
Why Is Discord Not Detecting My Game?
Discord app is always working with the Windows processes in the background. Sometimes it is difficult to apps to detect the game when a new window is opened.
There has no exact cause that Discord is not detecting the game. Different users reported different causes of this not detecting problems. Let’s know the cause, so we can take the precaution of these.
- If the game’s window closes but the Windows process is still working in the background, then the app gives not detecting the message.
- When two games named Fortnite battle royale and Garry’s Mod run with the same process name such as hl2.exe, the app cannot identify the two games and give not detecting pop-up messages.
There is a feature in-app name “Rich Presence” that has an option “now playing section” allow to integrate Discord app with the display while you are playing your game.
When you enable the “Rich Presence” on the app, you cannot find any not detected message. It has not a permanent solution but this option will solve almost all kinds of not detecting my game problem in Discord software.
So, it is high time to get the solution of all categories of Discord game overlay not working problem. Just, follow the mentioned method and enjoy the game without Discord overlay not working interruption message.